Admissions to Springwell Community College are managed by Derbyshire County Council. Click here to apply for a place at Springwell and for more information on Derbyshire County Council's school admissions procedures.
Students will be admitted at age 11 without reference to ability or aptitude. The Published Admissions Number for admissions is 170 at age 11. The Published Admission Number is the minimum number the school must admit if there are sufficient applications received.
Where applications for admissions exceed the number of places available the following criteria will be applied, in the order set out below, to decide which children to admit:
1. Children whose statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) names the school
2. Looked After children and children who were Looked After but ceased to be because they were adopted (or became subject to a residence order or special guardianship order)
3. Children living in the normal area served by the school at the time of application and admission who have brothers and sisters attending the school at the time of application and admission
4. When the child’s home is in the normal area of the school at age 11.
5. Children not living in the normal area served by the school but who have brothers and sisters attending the school at the time of application and admission
6. All other children not eligible under the above criteria
In the event of over-subscription falling within any one of the criteria, those children living nearest the school (measured by the nearest available route as described in the County Council Guidelines) will be given preference. The County Council has a Geographic Information System (GIS) to measure the nearest available route. It is measured by a standard walking distance calculated to within two metres. The measurement is taken from the postal address file, normally the house front door. For schools the grid reference is taken from the nearest gate or entrance to the school. All applications must be made directly to the Derbyshire LA who will coordinate admission arrangements. Parents of children not offered places will have the right to appeal and will be advised of procedures, should such a situation arise. Parents may also choose to go on a waiting list.
The school considers the ‘normal’ catchment area to be the traditional catchment area (Brimington, Barrow Hill, Hollingwood, Staveley, Inkersall and Middlecroft).