College Closure Arrangements
Every effort will be made to keep the college open during inclement weather. However, in the unlikely event that severe weather or other emergency make it difficult to open the college safely, the following will be considered:
- A later start to the college day
- A partial closure where only a certain year group or groups will be expected to attend
- A full closure of the college
Decisions will be made, whenever possible, by 7.30am.
Updates on these decisions will be shared via:
- Text messages to parents, carers and staff – parents, carers and staff should ensure the college holds the correct mobile telephone number
- My Ed app
- College website
Students are reminded of safety on their way to college and on the college site:
- Wrap up warm
- Wear sensible footwear
- Walk carefully and sensibly
- Walk on cleared/gritted paths
- No snowball throwing
There are some unforeseen situations when the college may need to close early during the day for example severe weather or interruptions to power, heating or water. Every attempt will be made to make the college bus service available to students. In such circumstances, parents and carers will be contacted by text, the My Ed app and the website.
It is important to note that, should a power cut occur, the college text messaging service will not be available. In this situation, we will update parents and carers using local radio stations and students using their own, or the college’s mobile phones. Parents and carers should ensure that up to date contact information is written in to students’ planners so that they can be contacted even if the college’s IT systems are not operational.
Upon joining the college, all parents and carers indicated which of the following options they would like to apply to their child in the event of a closure during the college day:
- Remain in college until contact has been made via text or phone. Once this has been done permission is given for my child to leave the college site by their normal route home.
- Remain in college until they are collected by their parent/carer or a named contact.
- Allowed to go home, either on foot or on the college bus without any contact being made.
Parents and carers should contact the college if their preference of the options above changes.
Updated January 2018